Local and Timely High Desert Gardening Tips
April 15th thru April 30th, 2019
Moana Nursery Teammates say, "For successful high desert gardening, NOW is the time to ............."
General Garden & Lawn Care:
- Prepare planting beds by cleaning up debris and incorporating three inches of organic matter, like G&B Organics Soil Building Conditioner or G&B Organics Purely Compost into the soil. Mulch existing plantings with 2-4” of compost as well.
- Continue watering trees, shrubs, lawns, perennials and containers.
- Turn on your irrigation system if not already done and inspect for leaks, broken/clogged heads, inadequate coverage and other problems. Or you can call 825-0602 x134 to schedule a Moana Irrigation Specialist to do it for you.
- Start a new lawn from seed or repair an existing lawn; cover seed with G&B Organics Soil Building Conditioner or G&B Organics Purely Compost and use Dalen Holographic Scare Tape to protect from birds. Moana recommends Bonide Dura Turf Seed.
- Core aerate your lawn; apply G&B Organics Lawn Fertilizer. To control weeds, use Concern Weed Preventer and Bonide Weed Beater Ultra as needed. T
- To bring an old lawn renewed vigor, top dress with G&B Organics Rose & Flower Planting Mix to ¼ inch depth. For even greater vigor, apply G&B Organics Lawn Fertilizer first.
- Continue to kill cheatgrass and other existing weeds with Bonide Ground Force Vegetation killer where you don’t intend to plant for at least one year. Use according to label.
Tree and Shrub Care:
- Remove tree stakes and ties from trees & shrubs planted a year ago or longer.
- Continue planting fruit trees – pear, apple, peach, apricot, nectarine, cherry & plum.
- Feed fruit trees with a balanced organic fertilizer like G&B Organics Citrus & Fruit Tree Fertilizer.
- Inspect trees and shrubs for insect and disease problems; treat immediately with appropriate product.
- Prune spring-flowering shrubs (forsythia, lilacs, quince, almond, etc.) immediately after they bloom.
- Use Codling Moth Traps, according to directions, to determine when and how often to treat apple & pear trees with Captain Jack’s Dead Bug Brew.
- Feed trees and shrubs that have been planted more than a year. Moana recommends G&B Organics Paradise Fertilizer. If insects such as bronze birch borer have been a problem, apply Bonide Annual Tree & Shrub Insect Control as needed to protect against them.
Perennial & Annual Care:
- If not already done, gently remove mulch placed on roses last fall and pull back 3 inches from the canes. Use a hose to rinse off remaining mulch from the canes under dry conditions.
- Prune, feed and mulch your roses; Moana recommends G&B Organics Rose & Flower Fertilizer or Bonide Systemic Rose & Flower Care (feeds & protects). For systemic insect and disease control, use Bonide Rose Rx Drench. Mulch with G&B Organics Harvest Supreme, being sure to keep mulch 3 inches from the canes.
- Deadhead spring bulbs once they’ve finished flowering and feed again with G&B Organics Bud & Bloom Fertilizer or Happy Frog Steamed Bone Meal. Allow foliage to wither completely before removing.
- Stake peonies to support blooms when they reach 10” in height.
- Plant summer bulbs with Happy Frog Steamed Bulb Food, G&B Organics Bud & Bloom Fertilizer. Moana Nursery has a good selection of summer bulbs, including gladiola, dahlias, canna, lily of the valley and others to enjoy this season.
- Pull back mulch from around the crowns of perennials if you haven’t done so.
- Plant cool weather color, perennials, ornamental grasses & roses.
- Divide mature summer and fall blooming perennials (except for daylilies, Oriental poppies & iris) when they are 4-6 inches tall.
Indoor Plant Care:
- Start tomatoes, other warm-season vegetables & annuals from seed indoors.
- Begin fertilizing houseplants with FoxFarm Grow Big Liquid Plant Food or Bonide Liquid Plant Food as new growth begins
- Repot potbound houseplants with G&B Organics Eden Valley Blend Potting Soil with BIOCHARmax or Blue Ribbon Blend Potting Soil.
Herb, Fruit & Vegetable Care:
- Plant tender veggies with G&B Organics Harvest Supreme and Dalen Season Starter frost protection which allows you to start tomatoes, peppers, squash, etc., 6-8 weeks earlier without fear of freezing. Plants will be healthier and produce up to twice the fruit 30-40 days earlier. Fertilize with G&B Organics Tomato Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer.
- Plant strawberries and pinch off first year flowers.
- Fertilize raspberries and other brambles with G&B Organics Citrus and Fruit Tree Fertilizer.
- Hummingbirds are already showing up. Put out hummingbird feeders in order to attract new visitors. Change nectar frequently until they begin feeding regularly when you’ll have to refill! Orioles will follow soon and will be ready for oranges, grape jelly and sugar water.
- Continue to supply fresh water and change it every 2-3 days to keep it clean. To prevent the chance of disease, clean birdbath weekly with a weak bleach solution and rinse well.
- Install a customized Wild Birds Unlimited bird feeding station where you can easily watch the birds it attracts.
- Offer WBU Bark Butter Bits, Peanut Butter n’Jelly Suet Dough or WBU Bark Butter to provide the extra calcium needed during nesting season.
Did you know that we can do the following for you?
- Small yard clean-up, planting bed preparation, early spring pruning and container designs by our Seasonal Color Team - - call 825-0602 x134 for more info
- Install and maintain indoor plants – Interior Plant Services division features design, clean-air plants, maintenance & more - - call 825-0602 x134 for more info
- Rent indoor plants for special events - - call 825-0602 x134 for more info
- Irrigation system turn on and inspection for leaks, broken/clogged heads, coverage & other problems by Moana Irrigation Specialist) Call 825-0602 x134 to schedule
- Bulk Material Installation/Spreading -- call 825-0602 x218
Helpful Video Showing How To Turn Your Irrigation/Sprinkler System On & Off - - View by clicking this link to Moana's You Tube Video.