Local and Timely High Desert Gardening Tips
April 15th thru April 30th, 2017
Moana Nursery Teammates say, "For successful high
desert gardening, NOW is the time to ..........."
General Garden & Lawn Care:
- Prepare planting beds by cleaning up debris and incorporating three inches of organic matter, like G&B Organics Soil Building Conditioner or G&B Organics Planting Compost into the soil. Mulch existing plantings with 2-4” of compost as well.
- Continue watering trees, shrubs, lawns, perennials and containers.
- Turn on your irrigation system if not already done and inspect for leaks, broken/clogged heads, inadequate coverage and other problems. Or you can call 825-0602 x134 to schedule a Moana Irrigation Specialist to do it for you.
- Start a new lawn from seed or repair an existing lawn; cover seed with G&B Organics Soil Building Conditioner or G&B Organics Planting Compost and use Holographic Scare Tape to protect from birds. Moana recommends Bonide Dura Turf Seed.
- Core aerate your lawn; apply G&B Organics Lawn Fertilizer. To control weeds, use Concern Weed Preventer Plus and Bonide Weed Beater Ultra as needed. To bring an old lawn renewed vigor, top dress with G&B Organics Soil Building Conditioner, Planting Compost or Harvest Supreme to ¼ inch depth.
- Continue to kill cheatgrass and other existing weeds with Bonide Ground Force Vegetation killer where you don’t intend to plant for at least one year. Use according to label.
Tree and Shrub Care:
- Remove tree stakes and ties from trees & shrubs planted a year ago or longer.
- Continue planting fruit trees – pear, apple, peach, apricot, nectarine, cherry & plum.
- Feed fruit trees with a balanced organic fertilizer like G&B Organics Citrus & Fruit Tree Fertilizer.
- Inspect trees and shrubs for insect and disease problems; treat immediately with appropriate product.
- Prune spring-flowering shrubs (forsythia, lilacs, quince, almond, etc.) immediately after they bloom.
- Use Monterey Codling Moth Traps, according to directions, to determine when and how often to treat apple & pear trees with Captain Jack’s Dead Bug Brew.
- Feed trees and shrubs that have been planted more than a year. Moana recommends Gro-Power Toss’n’Gro Fertilizer and Bonide Annual Tree & Shrub Insect Control as needed to protect against insects such as bronze birch borer.
Perennial & Annual Care:
- If not already done, gently remove mulch placed on roses last fall and pull back 3 inches from the canes. Use a hose to rinse off remaining mulch from the canes under dry conditions.
- Prune, feed and mulch your roses; Moana recommends G&B Organics Rose & Flower Fertilizer or Bonide Systemic Rose & Flower Care (feeds & protects). For systemic insect and disease control, use Bonide Rose Rx Drench. Mulch with G&B Organics Rose & Flower Planting Mix or G&B Organics Soil Building Conditioner, being sure to keep mulch 3 inches from the canes.
- Deadhead spring bulbs once they’ve finished flowering and feed again with G&B Organics Bud & Bloom Fertilizer or Bone Meal. Allow foliage to wither completely before removing.
- Stake peonies to support blooms when they reach 10” in height.
- Plant summer bulbs with G&B Organics Bud & Bloom Fertilizer or Bone Meal – Moana Nursery has a good selection of gladiola, dahlias, cannas, crocosmia & lily of the valley.
- Pull back mulch from around the crowns of perennials if you haven’t done so.
- Plant cool weather color, perennials, ornamental grasses & roses.
- Divide mature summer and fall blooming perennials (except for daylilies, Oriental poppies & iris) when they are 4-6 inches tall.
Indoor Plant Care:
- Start tomatoes, other warm-season vegetables & annuals from seed indoors.
- Begin fertilizing houseplants with Bonide Liquid Plant Food or Grow More Sea Grow Fertilizer as new growth begins
- Repot potbound houseplants with G&B Organics Eden Valley Blend Potting Soil or Blue Ribbon Blend Potting Soil.
Herb, Fruit & Vegetable Care:
- Plant tender veggies with G&B Organics Harvest Supreme and Dalen Season Starter frost protection which allows you to start tomatoes, peppers, squash, etc., 6-8 weeks earlier without fear of freezing. Plants will be healthier and produce up to twice the fruit 30-40 days earlier. Fertilize with G&B Organics Tomato Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer.
- Plant strawberries and pinch off first year flowers.
- Fertilize raspberries and other brambles with G&B Organics Citrus and Fruit Tree Fertilizer.
- Hummingbirds are already showing up. Put out hummingbird feeders in order to attract new visitors. Change nectar frequently until they begin feeding regularly when you’ll have to refill! Orioles will follow soon and will be ready for oranges, grape jelly and sugar water.
- Continue to supply fresh water and change it every 2-3 days to keep it clean. To prevent the chance of disease, clean birdbath weekly with a weak bleach solution and rinse well.
- Install a customized Wild Birds Unlimited bird feeding station where you can easily watch the birds it attracts.
- Offer WBU Bark Butter Bits, Peanut Butter n’Jelly Suet Dough or WBU Bark Butter to provide the extra calcium needed during nesting season.
Did you know that we can do the following for you? Call 825-0602 x134 for more information.
- Install and maintain indoor plants – new Plant Services business features design, clean-air plants, maintenance & more
- Plant rental service
- Seasonal container & bedding service
- Custom Container drop-off & pick up
- Bulk Material Installation/Spreading
- Design & install holiday lighting
- Tune up your landscape and irrigation system
- Add a water feature
- Design and install a new landscape
- Upgrade an existing landscape
- Install a driveway, patio and other hardscapes
- Install FieldTurf artificial putting greens, lawns, dog runs & play areas
- Create a backyard bird habitat; have a healthier landscape this year – Make an appointment for an at-your site consultation; call our Plant Doctors:
Jon Bruyn at 825-0602 x118 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Lisa Braginton at 825-0602 x104 or email@example.com
Steve Packer at 853-1319 x225 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Michelle Gilmore at 425-4300 x303 or email@example.com
Helpful Video Showing How To Turn Your Irrigation/Sprinkler System On & Off - - View by clicking this link to Moana's You Tube Video.