Local and Timely High Desert Gardening Tips
March 14th thru March 31st, 2018
Moana Nursery Teammates say, "For successful high desert gardening, NOW is the time to ..........."
Now is the time for pruning fruit & deciduous trees.
Spray with dormant oil to reduce codling moth and aphid populations and a fungicide if diseases such as scab and powdery mildew were a problem last year. See below for more information.
Did you know our Plant Doctors offer three horticulture consulting services?
- At-Your-Site Planning, Diagnostic & Design Assistance -- high desert expertise tailored to your property & needs.
$125 for first hour; $50 for each additional 30 minute block.
- At-Your-Site House Call for an on-site diagnosis.
$50 for 30 minute visit to diagnose a specific issue. You need not be present.
- In-Store Consultation
$40 for 30 minute visit – dedicated time with a plant doctor. Bring pictures, plant samples and questions to the store.
For more details, contact the plant doctor at the store nearest you:
Moana Lane: Jon Bruyn at 825-0602 x118 or email@example.com
Moana Lane: Lisa Braginton at 825-0602 x104 or firstname.lastname@example.org
South Virginia St.: Steve Packer at 853-1319 x225 or email@example.com
Pyramid Way: Michelle Gilmore at 425-4300 x303 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Weeding and Fertilizing:
- Apply pre-emergent weed control to prevent germination of weeds: Green Light Amaze or Monterey Weed Impede for flower beds & unplanted areas and Bonide Weed Beater for lawns.
- Prevent & kill any existing crabgrass with Bonide Weed Beater Complete, a pre-and-post emergent.
- Feed your lawn with G&B Organics Lawn Fertilizer.
General Garden & Lawn Care:
- Call Moana Nursery 825-0602 x134 now to schedule your irrigation turn-on with our Irrigation Specialist.
- Aerate your lawn, and if necessary, dethatch,
- After aerating &/or dethatching lawn, apply pre-emergent weed control to prevent germination of weeds and unwanted plants in your landscape. Moana recommends Green Light Amaze and Monterey Weed Impede for flower beds & non-planted areas, hillsides, paths, etc.) and Bonide Weed Beater for lawns.
- Feed lawn with G&B Organics Lawn Fertilizer.
- Prevent and kill any existing crabgrass, clover or dandelions with Bonide Weed Beater Complete --a pre & post-emergent.
- Rake up remaining leaves and debris, but leave a little for nesting material for the birds.
- Start a compost pile; add any G&B Organics Starter Fertilizer. The nitrogen and microorganisms will speed up decomposition.
- Top dress with G&B Organics Soil Building Conditioner or Rose Planting Mix to rejuvenate tired, old lawns.
Tree and Shrub Care
- Plant fruit trees – pear, apple & peach-- on a dry day before buds swell with G&B Organics Planting Mix and G&B Organics Citrus & Fruit Tree Fertilizer; mulch with G&B Organics Soil Building Conditioner.
- Plant trees and shrubs while they are still dormant -- before they break bud.
- Feed existing fruit trees with G&B Organics Citrus & Fruit Tree Fertilizer.
- Expand drip system before you plant dormant trees, shrubs and perennials.
- If fruit & large deciduous trees have broken bud wait to spray or adjust the concentration of your oil. Bonide All Seasons Horticultural & Dormant Oil will help control aphids, scale or mites that were a problem in the past. If fungal diseases such as scab and powdery mildew have been a problem, spray with Bonide Copper Fungicide or Monterey Liqui-Cop according to the label. Avoid spraying on windy days.
- Feed trees, shrubs and perennials that have been planted more than a year with G&B Organics Paradise Fertilizer.
- Apply systemic Bonide Annual Tree & Shrub Insect Control as needed to protect against insects such as bronze birch borer.
- Apply Plantskydd or Bonide Repels All to protect spring blooms, trees & shrubs from rabbits, deer & voles.
- Prune summer flowering shrubs & trees.
Perennial & Annual Care
- Cut back close to the ground all perennials now; wait until the end of the month to cut back ornamental grasses.
- Gently press back any perennials that heaved out of the ground over winter.
- Plant cool-season flowers – stocks, primrose, pansies, violas, candytuft, thyme, and others with G&B Organics Starter Fertilizer.
- Enjoy summer blooms earlier by potting up gladiolas, dahlias, crocosmia, lily of the valley, etc. indoors at the beginning of the month, then transplant in the garden when weather has warmed up with Happy Frog Bulb Food or G&B Organics Bone Meal or Bud & Bloom Fertilizer for long lasting blooms.
Indoor Plant Care:
- Begin fertilizing houseplants with Bonide Liquid Plant Food, Grow More Sea Grow All Purpose Plant Food or Osmocote Outdoor & Indoor Slow Release Fertilizer as new growth begins. Follow instructions on label.
Herb, Fruit & Vegetable Care:
- Start an edible garden in a raised bed or container – plant radish, lettuce and cabbage seeds, onions, potatoes, peas, asparagus, garlic, shallots, strawberries, rhubarb, horseradish and Swiss chard. Combine G&B Organics Planting Mix or Raised Bed and Potting Mix with G&B Organics Harvest Supreme to fill a raised bed. Or if your space is limited use a Smart Pot.
- Visit our edible demonstration gardens at all three locations.
- Prune grapevine & raspberry bushes and feed with G&B Organics Citrus & Fruit Tree Fertilizer.
- Start warm-season annual and vegetable seeds indoors with a HydroFarm Starter Kit.
- Improve seed starting success with Jump Start 20” X 18” Seedling Heat Mat.
- Continue to supply fresh water and change it every 5 days to keep it clean.
- With wild birds’ natural food supply at its lowest this month, offer them high energy foods like peanuts, suet, Bark Butter and mealworms.
- Some birds will begin building their nests this month; place nesting materials out for them now and consider a Wild Birds Unlimited birdhouse for wrens, chickadees or woodpeckers if they are visiting your yard.
- Offer Peanut Butter n’Jelly suet dough to provide the extra calcium needed during nesting season.
- If you have a water feature, turn it on as soon as weather permits.
- Install a customized Wild Birds Unlimited bird feeding station where you can easily watch the birds it attracts.
Did you know that we can do the following for you?
- Install and maintain indoor plants – new Plant Services business features design, clean-air plants, maintenance & more
- Plant rental service
- Seasonal container & bedding services
- Design & install holiday lighting
- Tune up your landscape and irrigation system
- Add a water feature
- Design and install a new landscape
- Upgrade an existing landscape
- Install a driveway, patio and other hardscapes
- Install EasyTurf artificial putting greens, lawns, dog runs & play areas
Call 825-0602 x134 for more information.
Make an appointment for an at-your site consultation with one of our plant doctors to help with the following:
- Create a backyard bird habitat
- Diagnose disease & insect problems on trees, shrubs & lawns
- Identify existing plants in your landscape and how to care for them
- Provide plant placement for DIY customers
- Help identify solutions to enhance your yard or landscape
Jon Bruyn at 825-0602 x118 or email@example.com
Lisa Braginton at 825-0602 x104 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Steve Packer at 853-1319 x225 or email@example.com
Michelle Gilmore at 425-4300 x303 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Helpful Video Showing How To Turn Your Irrigation/Sprinkler System On & Off - - View by clicking this link to Moana's You Tube Video.